Victoria Bautch, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
McAllister Heart Institute
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Primary Research: Vascular Development and Function
Research in the Bautch Lab centers on the molecules and processes that control development and disease. Their major focus is the study of how blood vessels form and are patterned during development, and how these processes are disturbed or co-opted during diseases such as cancer.
Lab Web Site: http://bautchlab.web.unc.edu
Members of the laboratory:
Dana Lynn Ruter (Postdoc)
Diana Chong (Grad Student)
Lyndsay Wylie (Grad Student)
Michael Zheng (Lab Manager)
Maryanna Parker (Lab Research Tech)
Kathryn Citrin (undergraduate)
Andrea McSweeney (undergraduate)
- Blood vessel anastomosis is spatially regulated by Flt1 during angiogenesis. Jessica E. Nesmith, John C. Chappell, Julia G. Cluceru, and Victoria L. Bautch. Development 2017 144:889-896; doi:10.1242/dev.145672
- Alk2/ACVR1 and Alk3/BMPR1A Provide Essential Function for Bone Morphogenetic Protein-Induced Retinal Angiogenesis. Lee HW, Chong DC, Ola R, Dunworth WP, Meadows S, Ka J, Kaartinen VM, Qyang Y, Cleaver O, Bautch VL, Eichmann A, Jin SW. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Feb 23. pii: ATVBAHA.116.308422. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.116.308422. [Epub ahead of print]
- Notch regulates BMP responsiveness and lateral branching in vessel networks via SMAD6. Mouillesseaux KP, Wiley DS, Saunders LM, Wylie LA, Kushner EJ, Chong DC, Citrin KM, Barber AT, Park Y, Kim JD, Samsa LA, Kim J, Liu J, Jin SW, Bautch VL. Nat Commun. 2016 Nov 11;7:13247. doi: 10.1038/ncomms13247.
- Flt-1 (VEGFR-1) coordinates discrete stages of blood vessel formation. Chappell JC, Cluceru JG, Nesmith JE, Mouillesseaux KP, Bradley VB, Hartland CM, Hashambhoy-Ramsay YL, Walpole J, Peirce SM, Mac Gabhann F, Bautch VL. Cardiovasc Res. 2016 Jul 1;111(1):84-93. doi: 10.1093/cvr/cvw091.
- Excess centrosomes perturb dynamic endothelial cell repolarization during blood vessel formation. Kushner EJ, Ferro LS, Yu Z, Bautch VL. Mol Biol Cell. 2016 Jun 15;27(12):1911-20. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E15-09-0645.
- Bautch VL, Caron KM. (2015) Blood and lymphatic vessel formation. In Signals, Switches and Networks in Mammalian Development. (J Rossant, PPL Tam, WJ Nelson, eds). Cold Spring Harbor Press.
Suk-Won Jin (Yale U.); Paul Dayton (UNC); Feilim Mac Gabhann (Johns Hopkins U); Ondine Cleaver (UT Southwestern).
- IVBM, Boston MA (Nov 2016)
- IBS-MPI Conference on Vascular Biology, Daejeon, Korea (Oct 2016)
- Cells in Motion, Munster Germany (May 2016)
- GRC Endothelial Cell Phenotypes (July 2016)
- Kloster-Seeon Angiogenesis Meeting (Sept 2016)