Ben Hogan, Ph.D.
Co-Division Head, Genomics Of Development and Disease Division,
Co-Director Centre for Cardiac & Vascular Biology,
Genomics of Development and Disease Division
Institute for Molecular Bioscience
The University of Queensland, Australia
Vascular Biology and Development Laboratory
Ben’s Laboratory investigates zebrafish vascular development in vivo using forward genetics and imaging approaches to visualise cellular and sub-cellular phenotypes. In particular, we investigate lymphatic vascular development and perivascular cells to understand developmental and molecular mechanisms.
Members of the laboratory:
Ben Hogan (Principal Investigator)
Kaska Koltowska (Postdoc)
Neil Bower (Postdoc)
Anne Lagendijk (Postdoc)
Scott Paterson (Research Assistant)
Maria Rondon Galeano (Research Assistant)
Jun Chen (Research Assistant)
Sungmin Baek (PhD student)
Smrita Chaudhury (PhD student)
Lin Grimm (PhD student)
Weili Wang (PhD student)
Tevin Chau (PhD student)
Kylie Georgas (Personal Assistant)
- De Angelis JE*, Lagendijk AK*, Chen H, Tromp A, Bower NI, Tunny KA, Brooks AJ, Bakkers J, Francois M, Yap AS, Wicking C, Hogan BM#, Smith KA#. Tmem2 regulates embryonic Vegf-signaling by controlling Hyaluronic acid turnover. Developmental Cell 2017 Jan 23; 40(2):23–136. *Joint first authors #Joint senior authors
- Bower NI, Vogrin A, Le Guen L, Chen J, Stacker SA, Achen MG, Hogan BM. Vegfd modulates both angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis during zebrafish embryonic development. Development 2017 Jan 13; 144:507-518.
- Koltowska K*, Lagendijk AK*, Pichol-Thievend C, Fischer JC, Francois M, Ober EA, Yap AS, Hogan BM. Vegfc Regulates Bipotential Precursor Division and Prox1 Expression to Promote Lymphatic Identity in Zebrafish. Cell Reports 2015 Dec 1; 13(9):1828–1841. *Co-first authors
- Koltowska K, Paterson S, Bower NI, Baillie GJ, Lagendijk AK, Astin JW, Chen H, Francois M, Crosier PS, Taft RJ, Simons C, Smith KA, Hogan BM. mafba is a downstream transcriptional effector of Vegfc signaling essential for embryonic lymphangiogenesis in zebrafish. Genes & Development 2015 Aug 1; 29(15):1618-30.
- Coxam B, Sabine A, Bower NI, Smith KA, Pichol-Thievend C, Skoczylas R, Astin JW, Frampton E, Jaquet M, Crosier PS, Parton RG, Harvey NL, Petrova TV, Schulte-Merker S, Francois M, Hogan BM. Pkd1 regulates lymphatic vascular morphogenesis during development. Cell Reports 2014 May 8; 7(3):623-33.
- Le Guen L, Karpanen T, Schulte D, Harris N, Koltowska K, Roukens G, Bower NI, Van Impel A, Stacker SA, Achen MG, Schulte-Merker S, Hogan BM. Ccbe1 regulates Vegfc-mediated induction of Vegfr3 signaling during embryonic lymphangiogenesis. Development 2014 Mar; 141(6):1239-49.
Mathias Francois (The University of Queensland), Kelly Smith (The University of Queensland), Henry Belting and Markus Affolter (Basel Biozentrum), Marc Achen and Steven Stacker (Peter Mac, Melbourne), Natasha Harvey (The University of South Australia)
- 17th Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute International Symposium, Australia (Nov 2016)
- Society for Developmental Biology 75th Annual Meeting/International Society of Differentiation 19th International Conference, USA (Aug 2016)
- Gordon Research Conference – Lymphatics, USA (Mar 2016)
- Munster, MPI, Germany (Feb 2016)
- Basel Biozentrum, Switzerland (Feb 2016)
17th Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute International Symposium, Australia (Nov 2016)
Society for Developmental Biology 75th Annual Meeting/International Society of Differentiation 19th International Conference, USA (Aug 2016)
Gordon Research Conference – Lymphatics, USA (Mar 2016)
Munster, MPI, Germany (Feb 2016)
Basel Biozentrum, Switzerland (Feb 2016)