Song Hu, Ph.D.
Washington University in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO
Our lab focuses on the development of cutting-edge optical and photoacoustic technologies for high-resolution structural, functional, metabolic, and molecular imaging in vivo. Our core technology, multi-parametric photoacoustic microscopy (PAM), is uniquely capable of simultaneously imaging hemoglobin concentration, blood oxygenation, and flow at the microscopic level. Combining multi-parametric PAM and segmentation-based single-vessel analysis, we have developed an unprecedented hardware-software platform for comprehensive and quantitative characterization of the microvasculature in vivo, including the structure, mechanical properties, hemodynamics, and associated tissue oxygen metabolism. This platform opens new opportunities to study the role of microvascular dysfunction in a wide spectrum of diseases, including neurovascular disorders, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases.
Lab Web Site: hulab.wustl.edu
Members of the laboratory:
Naidi Sun, Postdoctoral Fellow
Shuo Yang, Postdoctoral Fellow
Ziang Feng, Postdoctoral Fellow
Fenghe Zhong, Ph.D. student
Yifeng Zhou, Ph.D. Student
Zhuoying Wang, Ph.D. Student
Tao Sun, Visiting Student
Yiming Wang, Visiting Student
Vinny Sciortino, Undergraduate Student
Angela Tran, Undergraduate Student
Indigo Milne, Undergraduate Student
Michael Qiu, Undergraduate Student
- N. Sun, B. Ning, A. Bruce, R. Cao, S. Seaman, T. Wang, R. Fritsche-Danielson, L. Carlsson, S. Peirce, S. Hu, “In vivo imaging of hemodynamic redistribution and arteriogenesis across microvascular network,” Microcirculation, e12598 (2019).
- R. Cao, C. Zhang, V. Mitkin, M. Lankford, J. Li, Z. Zuo, C. Meyer, C. Goyne, S. Ahlers, J. Stone, S. Hu, “Comprehensive characterization of cerebrovascular dysfunction in blast traumatic brain injury using photoacoustic microscopy,” Journal of Neurotrauma, 36(10):1526-1534 (2019).
- R. Cao, J. Li, C. Zhang, Z. Zuo, S. Hu, “Photoacoustic microscopy of obesity-induced cerebrovascular alterations,” NeuroImage, 188:369-379 (2019).
- A. Louveau, J. Herz, M. Alme, M. Dong, K. Viar, G. Herod, J. Knopp, J. Setliff, A. Lupi, S. Gabriel Ferreira Da Mesquita, E. Frost, R. Cao, S. Hu, J. Lukens, I. Smirnov, C. Overall, A. Salvador, G. Oliver, J. Kipnis. “CNS lymphatic drainage and neuroinflammation are regulated by meningeal lymphatic vasculature,” Nature Neuroscience, 21, 1380-1391 (2018).
- S. Da Mesquita, A. Louveau, A. Vaccari, I. Smirnov, RC. Cornelison, KM. Kingsmore, C. Contarino, S. Onengut-Gumuscu, E. Farber, D. Raper, KE. Viar, RD. Powell, W. Baker, N. Dabhi, R. Cao, S. Hu, S. Rich, JM. Munson, CC. Overall, ST. Acton, J. Kipnis. “Functional aspects of meningeal lymphatics in ageing and Alzheimer’s disease,” Nature 560, 185-191 (2018).